Monday, August 27, 2007

RZMC

Holie Jeebus! I did a google search on the "Red Zinger Mini Classic" and found these youtube videos (not the greatest quality but they are almost 20 years old)

yeah I'm bored... I was hoping to find race results to find my old teammates names. Some of the current big guns did these races as kids too. Bobby J., Mike McCreedy to name a couple.



I did several of the other weekend Mini Classics in '88 (14yo). In '89 (in the 15yo cat) I raced them again plus the full 10 day race.

It was so much fun! I was setting in 9th most of the race but wrecks in the critter-runs got me and I ended up 14th over all. We had the over all winner on my team and the team I was on (High Gear Cyclery) won the team title.

It was so cool racing the Morgul-Bismarck I felt like Kevin Costner in American Flyers... Alight more like Andy Hampster on La Vie Claire.



Davis Phinney showed up to a couple of the stages and at the final stage, the Pearl Street crit. I got him to sign my race t-shirt and my Giro. Man was that a 15 year old's dream, not only meeting my hero (yeah Davis is the reason I grew a pony tail) but he was watching me race!

 

I sent the t-shirt to the sponsor "High Gear Cyclery" a couple of years a go and the helmet is on the wall in the garage. I hope there are races like this for the Jr's these days. It was a great experience that ingrained cycling deep into my life.

Posted by Picasa