Sunday, August 19, 2007

Team USA Guerciotti?!?!?!

Darrell also brought over his "Guercotti" for me to take a look at for a full restoration protject, back to "ALL ORIGINAL" for the bike his brother-inlaw gave him for free... the story is that Darrell's Brother-inlaw got it from one of his clients as a "tip" for seling a house.

To preface this, my first real road bike was a Navy fade to White Guercotti 58cm that I LOVED! so I have a really soft place in my heart for them.

 

Things from the start just didn't looks right, the paint was crap no clear coat, sticker all in the wrong place, wrong fork etc...

 

It had a really wacky mix of componets... well I was running a mix of campy, shimano and mavic on my Guerch. but not this wacky...

 

Then I saw this under the crapy paint job...

 

with a little finger nail work I uncovered this little number.

 

Well Well Well... What do we have here?!?!?!

 

A HUFFY!?!?!?! OR IS IT? Now being a roadie from the 80's I know that Huffy was on a major marketing campaign re-badging Serotta, Landshark (Andy Hampsten rode this if I remember correctly) Raleigh, DelSavo, Motobecane, etc... for 7-11, Crest, the USA Olympic team, Greg Lemond etc... (this one is a? I don't know... never seen a silver one)

 

There are just too few Braze-on's not to be a race bike... these BB cable routers, the Number Plate holder, and the water bottle bosses are the only extra ones on the frame (not counting the necessary shifting/braking ones). No rack or fender mounts, no pump boss, nothing extra and for an early 80's frame (with a 63cm seat tube and a 60cm top tube) it isn't that heavy

 

When did Huffy spec Campy drop outs??

Looks Like I have a project on my hands... stay tuned...

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

swiggco world said...

Wow....that's a huffy ! National team bike from the early 80's. I think Ron Keifel, Jeff Pierce and Rob Roll all did time on one of these suckers. If you want to see a whole bunch of these in TT form go to First Flight bikes. If I can I'll take some photos for you.

Unknown said...

Hey Ryan, it's Morgan from cx. I'm on classicrendezvous@bikelist.org. You could either post the link there, or I could do it for you. (Assuming it passes the pre-1983 requirement of the list.) I bet the people on that list could tell you more about its provenance, maker, era, etc. Maybe not who rode it. Want me to post it for you?

BTW I am almost done building our three new Rock Lobster cx bikes. Lauren and I have ridden two of them, her scandium and my steel. Love 'em!

Hey Paul.

Morgan

Rye said...

Hey Morgan!

I think we may have found out who owned it... Dave Prion from the outfitter said it might be Andy Pullin's (sp?) he was on the 88 team... but YEAH that would be awesome I don't know if it's pre '83 but it's close.