Thursday, September 6, 2007

Planes, Train, and Autos...

Today it was more like Trains, Buses and Bicycles.

A great day working and getting to know Paul professionally and personally. I was slow... very slow... new (to me) tools,



learning real (not the UBI or Bike Shop shit) frame prep, and the fear I would screw something up was always looming over me. But Paul was very cool, "Fast isn't as important as doing it right, do it right" was the theme of the day. It took a couple of frames but I started to "get" how thing work at Rock Lobster, meaning the tools and the expectations. Facing the BB's was my crux, I was/am so scared of reaming the shell below a 100th of a mm below 68 mm. Yeah Paul works to the hundredth... and I thought I was a bad ass for cutting spokes to the tenth, time for a personal review... It just goes to show why he's so good.

Paul also taught me a new appreciation for an instrument I have loathed for years, the Saxophone. IMHO Coltrane was/still is the only person who can play that thing. Then he busted out the Muddy Waters and we shared our stories of our axe sling'n. I can't wait to get away from bikes and jam with him... after the cross season...

I did get to work on one of the most beautiful bikes (Photos Soon) I've ever worked on today. The first thing Paul had me do was replace the fork and stem on the red/chrome lugged road frame he built up for the '07 NAHMBS (ok it's the '08 link) That will be shipped out to new owner very soon... it's an awesome bike and if it wasn't already sold I would have bought it...

ugh time for bed, it's a "school" night...

I can still smell the Al cutting fluid on my fingers... yummm...

No comments: