Monday, December 17, 2007

KCCX '07

Wow. What an experience.

The team did really well. I'm very proud of them all. The conditions were really rough, and the course layout was a little difficult to get around quickly on foot. I really wish I could have packed my new rig out there; it was the perfect venue for it. The whole team did a great job working together, and helping each other out. Stella was awesome as always, I always learn so much from her about the off bicycle side of racing. I learned a lot this trip.

I flew in with Aaron and Stella on Thursday night and got a room with them in Platt, Mo. about 20 min's from the venue... The Friday was the hardest day. After a frozen morning the girls were turning the course to muck, they all started slipping and sliding in to each other. Stella started further back and got caught up behind and in a few tumbles. I don't know what lap it was Sarah stopped but when she came in to the pits she looked very cold. Matt was bundling her up as I hung up her bikes then I went back to watching Stella finish out her mud bath, like the true fighter she is.

Tom's race was the sloppiest muddy hell we had all weekend. He borrowed his son's Bjorn's Clif Bar Salsa as a back up bike, and good thing he did. We did four swaps his race. I was really proud to be in the pits for Tom, watching him move up like a rocket going from a 100th starting place to 26th. With smooth swaps and good commutation, it was the kind of racing I love. No more "B" races for you Mr. Fox.

Saturday I meet Josh in the warm-up tent. He was spinning on a trainer next to AJM and Justin; we were all joking about Andy's 666 numbers and trying to stay warm. It started snowing early that morning and the temps were a lot colder and dropping. Stella was helping me out a lot that day with Josh (and Aaron) at the start line so I could be over in the pits with the bike. He races an awesome race, and didn't take a bike the whole race. It gave me a chance to watch AJM make Nor-Cal Proud and really enjoy the race. I got to see Josh sprint for the line grabbing the team highest place finish of the weekend. I ran his bike back to the warm up tent and Pow-wowed with Matt and AK before their race.

They took off in the coldest conditions of the weekend, Tom saved my toes by giving me some hand warmers I put in my rubber boots during Josh's race. No bike swaps this race either, just a straight up slugfest of a race ageist the elements. Both Matt and Aaron jumped up from their call up places. AK made it up as high as 10th before taking a fall. Matt clawed his was through the slushy/mud/ice/snow/glob to the heals of the 6 way battle for 20th-26th, being back a couple of rows at the start from the rest of those guys, he had to put in a big effort and couldn't quite crack them. Aaron rode to an amazing 13th place.

Sunday was the big show. Aaron and Stella enjoyed the racing and checked on me through out the day while Matt and I focused on Sarah. We meet in the warm-up tent and started checking tire pressure. I matched the pressure on all wheels of her bikes by hand setting it slightly higher then it was the first day. After the first lap she was in 12th when she took a change for a bike with more pressure, and one more to get back on her A bike after I pumped it up, finishing only two more places down in 14.

Great time in the pits. The mechanics were so cool, Eric, Rich, Tim and the crew were all helping each other out, catching and cleaning bikes for each other, loaning tools and Tim's let me use his wicked new hand held air compressor, I gotta get one.

Tim, Josh, a couple of locals, and I tipped a touch of Hennessy during the men's Elite race for the Swigg Boss and yelled at the racers.

Then we headed for home.... I know I left a lot out but this was getting long and I need to unpack... but it was a great time and the Lobsters should be proud.

2 comments:

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

the lobsters should be proud, but you know they couldn't do it without you. good job, Ryan!

swiggco world said...

your contribution to the team can not be overstated. There is no podium for mechanics at these events but if there was you would be on the top step.